The Civic Museum of Nepi has a modern and fascinating exhibition setup which is able to illustrate, through archeological finds, the historical evolution of the city and its territory from the Prehistoric Era up to Renaissance. The itinerary is structured in three sections: Prehistoric and Pre-roman, Roman, Medieval and Renaissance.
Prehistoric and Pre-roman Section
The most notable and characterizing evidences of this long period are the materials from the “Falische” Necropolis (7th-4th century b.C.). Ancient Nepi was located at the south-western border of the Falisci’s territory, in a strategic position along the communication routes between the Etruscan cities of Veio, Cerveteri and Tarquinia. The presence of refined grave goods composed of finely decorated ceramics prove the existence of a well structured society already at the beginning of the 7th century b.C. in which it emerges a rich aristocratic elite. The variety of ceramic materials and the growing number of greek and oriental grave goods found inside the tombs indicate the increasing wealth of the dominant social elite during the 6th century b.C.. In the “Sante Grotte” Necropolis, a funeral area located nearby Nepi, important Etruscan and Greek grave goods and bronze, silver and golden jewelry have been found.
Romans arrived in Nepi after the fall of the city of Veio in 396 b.C.. Differently from what happened to other towns in the area, the arrival of the romans conferred to Nepi wealth and importance, due to the passage of Via Amerina, an important roman route between Rome and Umbria Region. The history of Nepi during the Roman Era is still very mysterious, but all the evidences suggest that Nepi experienced a period of prosperity. The main evidence of the Roman Period are the numerous epigraphs which today are preserved in the Civic Museum of Nepi. The most prestigious roman archeological find of our museum is the head of Emperor Augustus "Capite Velato", whose origin is still unknown.
Medieval - Renaissance Section
Most recent finds of our Museum set-up are dated in 15th and 16th century, probably the best of Nepi. At that time the town was ruled by important families such as Borgias and Farneses. Potteries and emblems, founded in the 19th century and during the last renovation works ended in 2007, come from Nepi’s Castle also known as Borgia's Castle. One of the most prestigious item is a rare marble emblem of Lucrezia Borgia, who in 1499 received by her father, the Pope Alessandro VI, the Dominion of Nepi. Another interesting item is a marble frieze of Bernardo Accolti called “l’Unico” (the Only), an eccentric man who owned the castle and ruled over Nepi from 1521 to 1535. To the same period belongs another stony circular emblem bearing the Pier Luigi Farnese's insignia.